ya: (Travel Bag)
Liberty Bridge

83.37 КБ

Liberty Bridge is 333.6 m in length and 20.1 m in width. The top of the four masts are decorated with large bronze statues of the Turul, a falcon-like bird, prominent in ancient Hungarian mythology. The bridge was built between 1894 and 1896 to the plans of János Feketeházy. Although radically different in structure, the bridge imitates the general outline of a chain-type bridge, which was considered an aesthetically preferable form at the time of construction. The bridge was opened in the presence of Emperor Franz Joseph; the last silver rivet on the Pest abutment was inserted into the iron structure by the Emperor himself, and the bridge was originally named after him.
ya: (Travel Bag)
Liberty Bridge

83.37 КБ

Liberty Bridge is 333.6 m in length and 20.1 m in width. The top of the four masts are decorated with large bronze statues of the Turul, a falcon-like bird, prominent in ancient Hungarian mythology. The bridge was built between 1894 and 1896 to the plans of János Feketeházy. Although radically different in structure, the bridge imitates the general outline of a chain-type bridge, which was considered an aesthetically preferable form at the time of construction. The bridge was opened in the presence of Emperor Franz Joseph; the last silver rivet on the Pest abutment was inserted into the iron structure by the Emperor himself, and the bridge was originally named after him.
ya: (Travel Bag)
Elizabeth (Erzsebet) Bridge

91.76 КБ

Eventually you will come to what appears to be the end of the street, where the cars whizz by to get onto the white Erzsebet (Elizabeth) Bridge. The bridge was named after popular Habsburg queen Elizabeth (Sissi). The city council has evaluated 43 competing entries for the bridge construction tender. The winning plans were submitted by Albert Czekelius and Antal Kherndl. At the time the bridge was finally handed over to the public, there was no other chain-type bridge in the world with such length and without riverbed pillars. Construction commenced in 1897 and the bridge was inaugurated in 1903. Until the year 1926, it was the largest chain-type bridge in the world with a central opening of 290 meters. The bridge, which was blown up by the retreating German Army in 1945, was the only bridge in Budapest beyond repair. The construction of the new Elizabeth Bridge began in 1960, to be handed over in 1964. The new cable bridge was built in exactly the same place, under the supervision of architect Pál Sávory. It stands on it old pillars, but with added width to the bridge, as the newly built pedestrian range falls outside the suspension cables. Today’s bridge structure links the foot of Gellért Hill with the downtown of Pest. Due to Budapest's increased motorized traffic, a wider dual carriageway has been built, with tram tracks running in the middle. Tram traffic on the bridge has ceased in 1972, so today it handles traffic in three car lanes each way between Ferenciek tere in Pest and Gellért rakpart in Buda. The bridge takes the heaviest vehicle traffic out of all the other bridges in Budapest.
ya: (Travel Bag)
Elizabeth (Erzsebet) Bridge

91.76 КБ

Eventually you will come to what appears to be the end of the street, where the cars whizz by to get onto the white Erzsebet (Elizabeth) Bridge. The bridge was named after popular Habsburg queen Elizabeth (Sissi). The city council has evaluated 43 competing entries for the bridge construction tender. The winning plans were submitted by Albert Czekelius and Antal Kherndl. At the time the bridge was finally handed over to the public, there was no other chain-type bridge in the world with such length and without riverbed pillars. Construction commenced in 1897 and the bridge was inaugurated in 1903. Until the year 1926, it was the largest chain-type bridge in the world with a central opening of 290 meters. The bridge, which was blown up by the retreating German Army in 1945, was the only bridge in Budapest beyond repair. The construction of the new Elizabeth Bridge began in 1960, to be handed over in 1964. The new cable bridge was built in exactly the same place, under the supervision of architect Pál Sávory. It stands on it old pillars, but with added width to the bridge, as the newly built pedestrian range falls outside the suspension cables. Today’s bridge structure links the foot of Gellért Hill with the downtown of Pest. Due to Budapest's increased motorized traffic, a wider dual carriageway has been built, with tram tracks running in the middle. Tram traffic on the bridge has ceased in 1972, so today it handles traffic in three car lanes each way between Ferenciek tere in Pest and Gellért rakpart in Buda. The bridge takes the heaviest vehicle traffic out of all the other bridges in Budapest.
ya: (Travel Bag)
Margaret Bridge

90.56 КБ

Margaret Bridge is the second second oldest public bridge in Budapest. It was planned by the French engineer Emile Gouin and built between 1872-1876. Margaret Bridge became the second permanent bridge in Budapest after the Széchenyi Chain Bridge. This bridge leads across to Margaret Island. The island was called Nyulak szigete (Island of the Rabbits) in the Middle Ages, and it received its current name after Saint Margaret (1242–1270), the daughter of Béla IV of Hungary who lived in the Dominican convent on the island. Two parts of bridge enclosing 150 degrees with each other at the embranchment towards the island. The reason for this unusual geometry lies in the fact the small extension to connect the Margaret Island was hastily inserted into the original design, but not built until two decades later due to lack of funds.
ya: (Travel Bag)
Margaret Bridge

90.56 КБ

Margaret Bridge is the second second oldest public bridge in Budapest. It was planned by the French engineer Emile Gouin and built between 1872-1876. Margaret Bridge became the second permanent bridge in Budapest after the Széchenyi Chain Bridge. This bridge leads across to Margaret Island. The island was called Nyulak szigete (Island of the Rabbits) in the Middle Ages, and it received its current name after Saint Margaret (1242–1270), the daughter of Béla IV of Hungary who lived in the Dominican convent on the island. Two parts of bridge enclosing 150 degrees with each other at the embranchment towards the island. The reason for this unusual geometry lies in the fact the small extension to connect the Margaret Island was hastily inserted into the original design, but not built until two decades later due to lack of funds.
ya: (Default)
Chain Bridge (Széchenyi Bridge)

111.81 КБ

This bridge holds the distinction of being the first permanent crossing to link Buda and Pest. The idea for the bridge was instigated and funded by 19th-century Hungarian reformer Count István Széchenyi. Legend has it that due to storms, he was not able to cross the river to be with this dying father. While Széchenyi waited 8 days for the storms to subside so he could cross the river, his father died and he missed the funeral. Designed by William Tierney Clark, an Englishman, the bridge was also one of the largest suspension bridges of its time when it opened in 1849.
ya: (Default)
Chain Bridge (Széchenyi Bridge)

111.81 КБ

This bridge holds the distinction of being the first permanent crossing to link Buda and Pest. The idea for the bridge was instigated and funded by 19th-century Hungarian reformer Count István Széchenyi. Legend has it that due to storms, he was not able to cross the river to be with this dying father. While Széchenyi waited 8 days for the storms to subside so he could cross the river, his father died and he missed the funeral. Designed by William Tierney Clark, an Englishman, the bridge was also one of the largest suspension bridges of its time when it opened in 1849.
ya: (Travel Bag)

Вход на остров Тиберина охраняют четыре мраморные головы на древнем (62 год до н.э.) мосту Фабричо и обрубок башни Пьерлеони (Torre dei Pierleoni, X век). Выглядит башня довольно непритязательно, однако в свое время - в XI веке - она служила папской резиденцией.
Картинка 267,21 КБ )
ya: (Travel Bag)

Вход на остров Тиберина охраняют четыре мраморные головы на древнем (62 год до н.э.) мосту Фабричо и обрубок башни Пьерлеони (Torre dei Pierleoni, X век). Выглядит башня довольно непритязательно, однако в свое время - в XI веке - она служила папской резиденцией.
Картинка 267,21 КБ )
Page generated Jul. 24th, 2017 08:45 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios